28th February 2020
Sticky Asian Short Ribs
- 2 kilos beef short ribs
- 3/4 cup light soy sauce
- 3/4 cup dark soy sauce
- 2 cups brown sugar (divided into two)
- salt to taste
- 6 garlic cloves (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 1 inch piece of ginger (peeled and smashed)
- 2 star anise
- 1 large red chilli
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- Mix the soy sauce, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt, garlic, ginger, star anise and chilli in a bowl and the marinate the beef ribs in the marinade for 1 hour. Drain the ribs, reserving the marinade for cooking.
- Heat frying pan on high heat and sear the beef ribs until browned on all sides. Mix the marinade with the 2 cups of water and place this and the ribs in a lidded cast iron pot and cook in a 160c oven for 3 hours.
- Once cooked drain most of the liquid into a container and refrigerate both the meat and the sauce overnight. The next day, skim the fat off the top and reheat and serve with rice if you don’t want to make the glaze. If you are making the glaze, take 500ml of the liquid and place in a saucepan and heat with the extra cup of brown sugar and rice wine vinegar, taste and add more salt if needed. Reduce down to syrupy glaze. Heat the ribs in about 1 cup of liquid and then brush with the glaze. The remainder of the liquid can frozen and used as a Chinese master stock. Serve with rice.