28th February 2020
Cottage Pie With Lentils and Sweet Potato Mash Topping
- 500g Minced beef
- 2 onions – finely diced
- 1 carrot – grated
- 2 celery sticks – finely diced
- Glass of red wine
- Clove of garlic – crushed
- 1ltr of beef stock
- 1 heaped tbsp plain flour
- Pouch of pre cooked puy lentils
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 large sweet potatoes – peeled and chopped into even chunks
- 50g butter
- Preheat oven to 180’c
- Heat a shallow oven proof pan on the hob and add the mince meat – brown well before removing the mince with a slotted spoon to a separate bowl.
- In the same pan you seared the mince add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic and cook, stirring well for at least 5 minutes until cooked down and smelling delicious.
- Add the mince back to the pan, sprinkle over the flour and stir well, cooking for 2 minutes.
- Add the red wine, beef stock and a good pinch of salt and black pepper, stir well.
- Place uncovered in a hot oven for 40 mins until reduced, thicken and dark.
- Meanwhile place the sweet potatoes in a pan and cover with cold water and season well. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 mins until completely soft.
- Drain well and allow to steam dry in a colander for five minutes before mashing well with butter – season to taste.
- Once the mince mix is thickened and dark remove from the oven, stir in the lentils and top with the sweet potato mash.
- Bake in the oven at 180’c for 15 minutes or 60 minutes if you’ve made the pie in advance and our cooking from cold.