28th February 2020
Cheesy Baked Meatballs
- 800g mince
- 2 slices of bread whizzed into breadcrumbs
- ½ ground cumin
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 2 level tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 egg yolk
- olive oil
- 2 handfuls of fresh basil
- 60g mozzarella cheese
- 60g Parmesan cheese
- 1 large clove of garlic
- olive oil
- 1 small dried red chilli
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 x 400g tins of quality Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 handful of fresh basil , or marjoram
- extra virgin olive oil
- In a large bowl combine mince, breadcrumbs, cumin, rosemary, oregano, egg yolk and a good pinch of salt & pepper.
- Roll into evenly side meatballs and place in the fridge to firm up.
- Make the tomato sauce.
- Peel and finely chop the garlic, then gently fry in a thick-bottomed pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Crumble in the chilli, add the oregano and tomatoes.
- Mix gently, but do not break up the tomatoes as this will release the pips, which will make the sauce slightly bitter – by leaving the tomatoes whole and letting the mixture cook slowly you’ll get a nice sweet sauce. (You can remove the pips from the tomatoes if you want, but I don’t bother.) Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 1 hour.
- Add the vinegar to the pan, then stir and chop up the tomatoes in the sauce.
- Pick the basil or marjoram and roughly chop, then add to the pan.
- Season well to taste with sea salt and black pepper, and finish with 2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- In a oven proof skillet sear the meatballs well.
- Pour over tomato sauce.
- Top with parmesan, mozzarella and basil.
- Bake at 200’c for 20 mins.