28th May 2020
Beef and Wholegrain Mustard Stew
1 kg chunky stewing beef
3 onions – sliced
3 large carrots – in chunks
1 ltr of beef stock
50g plain flour
2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1 tbsp tomato paste
Large glass of red wine/beer/ale
- Preheat the oven to 160’c.
- Coat the beef in seasoned flour and sear in a hot casserole pan with a touch of olive oil – remove from pan once browned all over and set aside.
- Brown onions and carrots in the same casserole pan with a good pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- Once the onions are nicely browned and softened add the beef back to the pan along with tomato paste, a good few shakes of Worcester sauce, and the wholegrain mustard, stir well.
- Once everything in the pot is hot add the booze and scrape the sticky bits off the bottom of the pot and let the liquid simmer for a minute.
- Add the beef stock – if the meat isn’t covered with an inch of liquid, add some water, or more stock if you have it, to cover.
- Once the stew has come to a simmer, place on the lid and out in the oven for 3-4 hours until tender.